Saturday, July 17, 2010

My heart goes out...

India. Prostitution. Abuse. Orphans. Poor drinking water. Poor sanitation. Low literacy. Worship of other gods...
My heart breaks for them.
I dreaded going on the temple tour in Madurai. When I was inside, I just wanted to get out. I could hardly breathe, and I felt unwelcome. When a woman walked up and stuck a bindi on my forehead, I felt it burning me and I wanted nothing more than to rip it off!.. which I did, once she walked away. My companions were marvelling, taking photos, and excited to receive the blessing from the temple elephant. I shied away. I stood, watching hundreds of men, women, and children, bowing before idols and placing offerings before them.
I cried.
I thought, "How the heart of God must break to see this!"
And then I had another startling thought-
"Doesn't His heart break to see us worshiping our own forms of idols?"

From Isaiah 44:
"I am the First and the Last; there is no other God. Who is like me? Let him step forward and prove to you his power."
"Who but a fool would make his own god- an idol that cannot help him one bit?"
"Such stupidity and ignorance! Their eyes are closed, and they cannot see. Their minds are shut, and they cannot think."
"I have swept away your sins like a cloud. I have scattered your offenses like a morning mist! Oh, return to me, for I have paid the price to set you free!"

He has paid the price to set us free.

And my heart goes out to those who walk in darkness, who waste their lives in seeking gods that cannot save...

No comments:

Post a Comment