Monday, June 14, 2010

"YHWH, the Name of our Creator"

In response to:

http://legalbearsblog.com/2010/05/does-the-creator-care-what-we-call-him/


I was recently questioned by the author of this blog, through my Twitter account, as to whether or not I believe in the Name of the Creator. He did not like my use of "God," as he believes that our Creator revealed Himself to His people as YHWH.

The problem with YHWH, as I have researched, is that no one actually knows what vowels are missing, as the Hebrews would not speak or write out the Name. Some say Yahweh, but most scholars agree that it is meant to have three vowels- Yahowah or Yahuwah. The English translation is Jehovah. Not many Bibles use His Name, Jehovah, but some mark with "LORD." If you see a "Lord," then the Name "Adhonay/Adonai" is used. This only happens in the Old Testament. The readers of the Law would see "YHWH" written and would say instead "Adhonay," to keep from using the Creator's Personal Name.

Many names and descriptive words have been applied to the Creator: Elohim, El, Eloah, Tsur, Kadhosh, Shadday, Abhir, Elyon, Gibbor, El Roi, Tsaddiq, Kanna... etc. None of these names are personal. All of them refer to any god. However, some of them are used together with YHWH, such as "LORD God"- YHWH Elohim.

The Name, YHWH, means "I Will Be That I Will Be" or "I Am That I Am." As when it was spoken to Moses, "Tell them that I Am sent you." And even Jesus (traditionally, Yehushuwah) called Himself "I Am" and shocked the religious leaders. This Name is the Covenant Name, "HE WILL BE," referring to the Creator's immediate presence and future presence... and the promise of the Messiah.
In Exodus 3:15, the LORD says, "Say this to the people of Israel: YeHuWaH, the God of your ancestors- the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob- has sent me to you. This is My eternal Name, My Name to remember for all generations."

The LORD, however, turning against His people in Jeremiah 44:26 said, "I have sworn by my great Name, says Jehovah, that my Name will no longer be spoken by any of the Judeans in the land of Egypt. None of you may invoke my Name or use this oath: As surely as the Sovereign LORD lives." (Adhonay YHWH)

Later, when the Israelites have left the land of Egypt and are given the Commandments, they are told:
"Thou shalt not take the Name of Jehovah (YHWH) thy God (Eloah) in vain: for Jehovah (YHWH) will not hold him guiltless that taketh His Name in vain."

http://pronouncingthename.xanga.com/593761504/item/

- Is a good website that shares scholars' thoughts on pronunciation. Basically, though, they agree that YHWH is the Personal Name of our Creator, and although we may not pronounce it correctly, we should take care to identify His consecrated Name.

• http://www.watchtower.org/e/na/article_02.htm

- I am not a Jehovah's Witness, but I do agree with the information in this article regarding YHWH.

"I am Jehovah,
and there is none else;
besides me there is no God."
(Isaiah 45:5) (ASV) -BibleGateway

As far as the use of Jehovah in the NT, it is NOT used in Greek translation. The Greeks use "Theon" which is a general term for God, and "Kurios," a general term for Lord. Whether the Greek translations we have available today are actually what Names were used, I am not certain.

Regarding Jesus' use of "God," that is also unclear. In "Love the Lord your God," it is "Kurion Theon," but was it not likely He did not speak Greek but Aramaic or Hebrew? In John 17:11, Jesus says "Holy Father," and speaks of His Name being powerful. "Safe by the power of thy name," really just means that we are also kept "holy" as He is holy. Jesus also used "Abba Father" (Aramaic) and "Our Father who art in heaven" (may your Name be kept holy). When He cried out on the cross, His words were a mixture of Hebrew "Eli, Eli" (My God)... and Aramaic. Examining Jesus' use of Names shows us that we are also to call on our heavenly Father and keep His Name holy... YHWH. Jehovah.

It seems as though using "God" on its own does not actually reference our Creator, although "My God" is more personal. In order to actually separate and make clear His Personal Name, "Jehovah," "Yehuwah," and "Father in heaven" are used. "Adonai" also is possessive, "My Lord," emphasizing His sovereignty.

"The LORD said to my Lord"... "Yehuwah said to Adhonay.."

My Lord. The Messiah. The Christ. Yehushuwah. Jesus.

Jesus the Christ, the Anointed One

To believe "Jesus is the Christ," means you believe He is the Messiah, the Anointed One, the One sent by Jehovah God to be our Salvation.

So... this was a rather long post. Thanks to all who read. I hope this gets you thinking, as it did me. I think I will be more careful to call My God by His Name, Jehovah. Or Father in heaven, as Jesus' example. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Katie, remember when we read "The Peace and Power of Knowing God's Name" by Kay Arthur? This is the study I did with the kids a couple of summers ago too. Prov. 18:10. Here is a quote from the book that I use to tell why it is important to know God's name, " In biblical times, a name represented a person's character. God's name represents His atributes, His nature. His name is a statement of who He is. An He has many names! Each revealing something of His power and love and purpose toward you."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Momma, Yeah, I remember that book. I thought about it right away. Thank you for the quote.

    ReplyDelete